Now accepting virtual appointments. Schedule a virtual visit.

When You Need A Varicose Vein Doctor

Vascular problems in the legs range from a minor annoyance that is primarily cosmetic to more serious conditions like open ulcers. If you have spider veins, for example, they may not need treatment. However, varicose veins and leg ulcers are much more likely to need the services of a varicose vein doctor or even a vascular surgeon. If you need varicose vein treatment, the interventional radiologists at Vascular and Interventional Associates Vein Center offer a number of options. In nearly all cases, these minimally invasive treatments can be performed in the vein center and you can resume your normal activities within a few days.

Vascular Problems

Varicose veins come in two forms: spider veins and varicose veins. Spider veins are smaller and can show up in places like the face, while varicose veins occur on the legs. Both result from failure of tiny tissue flaps inside the vein called valves. Vein valves are meant to prevent blood from flowing backward during the slight pause between heartbeats. Spider valves are primarily a cosmetic issue, although they may occasionally cause symptoms like burning or itching. In the legs, varicose veins can become quite large and twisted, and when really serious may even result in open sores or vascular ulcers.

What’s Special About a Varicose Vein Doctor?

Varicose vein doctor is a catch-all term for physicians who may practice one of several specialties. In the case of the Vascular and Interventional Associates Vein Center, the term refers to our interventional radiologists. Interventional radiology is a sub-specialty of radiology (the use of radiation for the diagnosis and treatment of disease). Practitioners in this field use imaging studies to diagnose vein problems and treat many of those problems with minimally invasive therapies like sclerotherapy for spider veins and endovenous laser ablation therapy for larger varicose veins. Our physicians are extensively trained in the field and board certified.

What Varicose Vein Treatment Services Are Available?

At Vascular and Interventional Associates Vein Center, we offer sclerotherapy for spider veins. The treatment involves the injection of a special fluid that irritates the vein walls, causing them to collapse and scar shut. For larger varicose vein treatment, we offer endovenous laser ablation (EVLT), ambulatory phelbectomy and ultrasound guided chemical ablation or ultrasound guided foam sclerotherapy (UGS). For EVLT, the doctor inserts a tiny laser into the vein; the heat of the laser collapses the vein as it is slowly pulled out. Ambulatory phlebectomy is like a mini-surgery in which tiny incisions are made through the skin along the length of the vein and the vein is gently pulled out. UGS is similar to sclerotherapy but is used for larger varicose veins that are deeper in the venous system. If you need a varicose vein doctor, please contact us at Vascular and Interventional Associates Vein Center. We can schedule a consultation to assess your needs. We serve Cincinnati and the northern Kentucky area, and accept most insurances (which will usually pay most of your treatment costs).

You Might Also Enjoy...

What Is Pelvic Congestion Syndrome?

If you have persistent pain below your abdomen, it could be pelvic congestion syndrome, which is marked by enlarged veins in your pelvis. Learn all about this condition and your options for finding relief here.

6 Causes of Restless Legs Syndrome

Getting your restless legs syndrome (RLS) diagnosed and treated can help you find relief, but you still might wonder why you had the symptoms in the first place. Here are six of the most common causes of RLS.

The Link Between Painful Sex and Fibroids

Fibroids are common and usually benign, but if your fibroid causes you discomfort during sex, you want to do something to stop the pain. Learn more about your treatment options here.

Are Varicose Veins Dangerous?

Bulging veins in your legs aren’t usually cause for concern other than cosmetic. But in some cases, varicose veins can lead to potentially dangerous complications. Here’s what you need to know.

Warning Signs of an Enlarged Prostate

Enlarged prostates are extremely common — and very treatable. But how do you know if your prostate is enlarged? Learn the telltale symptoms here so you know when to seek treatment.

Who's at Risk for Liver Cancer?

Your liver plays a critical role in your body. If you want to keep it healthy, you should be aware of risk factors that heighten your likelihood of getting liver cancer. Here’s a quick overview.